Ability to kill long running tasks/jobs on the server

Developers can make a Resftul API call $export to extract Resources into NDJSON files. For various reasons, for example, multiple $export requests can slow down the server, thus, affecting other legitimate requests.

I haven’t found a standard API or implementation-specific API that allows us to monitor and cancel/kill (if needed) some long running tasks on Server side, e.g. task to serve $export.

The server I’m using: HAPI FHIR 6.0.4 REST Server

Any suggestions, advice are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

HL7.FHIR.UV.BULKDATA\Bulk Data Export - FHIR v4.0.1 documents the process for canceling a request, and HL7.FHIR.UV.BULKDATA\Bulk Data Export - FHIR v4.0.1 documents the process for checking on a request status

1 Like

@grahamegrieve Thank you for your answer.

I have another follow-up question: is it possible to list the $export jobs/tasks currently running on the Server? So that we could know the Job/Task Ids and cancel them, according to your suggestion. This feature is important as too many $export tasks can slow down the whole server.

That’s usually considered a problem to be resolved on the server, so we haven’t made arrangements for the clients to manage that - would create many security challenges.