Address Book/Contact List FHIR Resources

Hopefully this is pretty simple query. I’m new to this and trying to get my head around converting our practice address book/contact list to FHIR and wondering if I’m on the right track.

We’ve got two types of entries in our address book: individuals and companies. Individual entries for a person, which contain basic things like a name, address, speciality, HPI-I number (optional), a physical and postal address, as well as contact info. A person can be a doctor, an IT person, anyone really. Then there’s also company/organisation entries, which contain a name, HPI-O number (optional), a physical and postal address. Again, like a person, there is no stipulation that this company/organisation is medically related, it could be an insurer or IT Company.

Individual entries and company/organisation are considered sperate entities, meaning there’s no current way to link an individual to the organisation entry they work for at this stage.

I assume we’d simply map the company/organisation entries to the Organization resource? The individual I’m not so sure about. Would they map to the Person resource?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Organization is definitely the right answer for your first question. The answer to the second question is “it depends”. In most systems it would be Practitioner - which covers anyone who’s working in their “professional” capacity - whether that’s as a clinician, a receptionist, a database technician or a taxi driver. However, if your phone-book also includes patients and/or their friends and relatives, then that brings Patient and RelatedPerson into the mix. In that case, Person would be your fallback. Person is typically only used as a linking resource but it can also be used to maintain common demographic information.