Associate non-structed data to a resource

Hi all,

Imagine the scenario bellow

Example:

A patient goes to a practitioner to report the results from and previous hemogram investigation.
In the scenario, we have:

• One Encounter (suppose id = 1)

• Several Observation (attribute encounter = 1)

• Glucose Measure
    • Hemoglobin Measure
    • etc

Now suppose the Encounter is persisted in the system as a structured Encounter data, while the observations above could not be persisted as structured Observations data by system limitations.

How can we associate the observations to the encounter, since we cannot save the observations instances as structured data? Later we need to show this information together for other practitioners as a single content.

The observations were used only for example because we can have several other resources like conditions(s), procedure(s), observation(s), service request(s), etc associated with the encounter.

Can we:

• Use encounter narrative attribute to save a non-structured text (eg. HTML) with all the information?
  • Create a new extension to the encounter to save the non-structured data?
  • Other options? :smile:

Thanks

1 Like

You could create Observation instances that just have narrative (if they at least have identity). If not, they could be contained resources of the Encounter.

1 Like

Hello lloyd,

Thanks for your reply.

You could create Observation instances that just have narrative (if they at least have identity). If not, they could be contained resources of the Encounter.

I can’t even “dynamically” parse non-structured data as Observations, Procedures, Services Requests…
It is more like a single bunch of text (eg. HTML), where the resources are described without structure.

In this case, how can I use contained resources since contained resources need to be identified as resources?

Can I use Encounter narrative to persist this data?

Hey lloyd

I was reading about DocumentRefence and I am starting to think that is the best choice for my purpose.

I can associate the encounter with a document created based on that single bunch of non-structured data.

What do you think?

Thanks

If you don’t have any discrete data but just something like PDFs or whatever, DocumentReference is totally appropriate

2 Likes