CDA/FHIR mapping implementations

Hi all

I am taking a pure implementer’s approach to build an intermediate representation (such as an XML) for mapping CDA<—>FHIR. I am using the smart-on-fhir as the reference implementation for this. The CDA I am trying to use is the Australian extension - ereferral (www.digitalhealth.gov.au/implementation-resources/clinical-documents/EP-0936-2012/NEHTA-0967-2012).

Is it possible to create such an intermediate representation using the smart-on-fhir (or any other FHIR) reference implementation? Has anyone else tried this?

While searching for actual implementations I came across these repos:

The FHIR group has some hand crafted examples. Are there any equivalent CDA examples for these FHIR resources?

I have read some documents regarding the challenges between the transforms, such as:

• David Hay’s blog: https://fhirblog.com/2013/12/13/fhir-meet-cda/
  • Lantana Group position paper - “If or when FHIR can accommodate the full CDA use case, the future holds the promise of seamless integration and information sharing between clinical documents and APIs”. Does this mean that CDA<—>FHIR transform is not possible?

Intersystems presented its CDA shredder at the FHIR App meeting at Harvard this past summer. There is a presentation of it posted here.