Complete Data flow diagram

Hello,
I am looking for a complete data flow of storing data and other operations that it will go through them in FHIR database .
I have searched alot but I didn’t find a complete DFD.
I will appreciate if someone guides me.

There is no single ‘data flow’ for a FHIR-based system. FHIR is focused primarily on data exchange, not persistence. There’s no requirement to use FHIR for storage - and if you do use FHIR for storage, there are a variety of strategies. The ‘data flow’ will be driven by a variety of factors, including what your data sources, whether all data is stored on a single server, the degree and type of validation performed, whether you try to enforce referential integrity, and various other considerations.

1 Like

If there is an existing database and we want to implement a FHIR server on it , is it possible to write on database through SMART apps?

Yes. SMART apps write to the FHIR interface. If the FHIR interface is configured to allow database writes, then data submitted by the SMART app will be stored in the database.

1 Like

Would you please guide me how can we make an existing app , SMART app on FHIR?

What research have you already done and what part of the process are you struggling with?

1 Like

We are doing research about FHIR and it’s implementation and it would be great if you guide me in this way.
We have data on different topics and we also receive data from different organizations. Currently our data format is proprietary.
We want users to be able to both read and write on database through REST API.
I am absolutely enthusiastic about your guidance.

Well the first step is to read the specification. You might also search for and watch some of the FHIR DevDays videos. Once you’ve done that you’re likely to have more specific questions that the community either here or on http://chat.fhir.org will be able to better help you with.

1 Like

Thanks for your guidance
Is it possible for us to exchange data with openEHR platforms?

If you build an openEHR interface, sure. But that would be independent of your FHIR interface.

1 Like

So in that case If the database is based on FHIR, users can not write on the database through the openEHR interface. Right?

You will need to write interfaces to convert between the data you receive over FHIR or over OpenEHR to your database. Even if your database is internally FHIR, you’ll need conversion interfaces to handle different FHIR versions or possibly perform other manipulation. The degree of conversion/manipulation will likely be higher if converting between a FHIR-based persistence layer and an OpenEHR interface, but it should still be possible. (And the reverse would also be true.)

1 Like

@Mahy, one approach is to build a model driven (FHIR schema driven) mapping tool. Like any other ETL tool, the left side will be your input data schema, right side will be FHIR resources. Map attributes from left to right (onto FHIR resources one at a time). Some of the complications are, a) establishing relationship, b) defining hierarchy, c) handling code mapping, d) transformation logic. A UI can help visualize the mapping. You can also use Excel depending on the complexity of the input data and the number of FHIR resoruces.

@Anil, we are interested in a tool like that (to accelerate the mapping and transformation process between RDBMS (a claim database) and FHIR server). I read your post that you guys created a tool for that. Is it an open source or available for purchase? Thanks!

@vitalys It is not open source but not expensive (it is a part of our Data Prep and Data Transformation pipeline and hard to separate). If you send an email to info(at)trillo.io. We can take the conversation to a private channel.