Information regarding Observation Resource Implementation

Dear Sir/Madam,
I want to map the simple EMR data to FHIR resources. In this regard, I want to map the lab test data to FHIR Observation resource. However, I am new in this area and need a bit guidance here. Should I convert any type lab (result) data to single FHIR Observation resources? OR There is different Observation resources types for each type test data. For example, I want to convert three different type test data (Blood analysis, Urine analysis, Chloride analysis). Please advise me, should there would be only type Observation resource and I need to just put the data of each test in that resource OR the observation resources type of each test data would be different.
Please give me your value advises.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks,
Ayaz
mohd.ayazkn@gmail.com

Each Observation has a code and a value. You’d have a separate Observation instance for each type of blood, urine or other lab measurement. For example, you’d have distinct observations for white blood cell count, red blood cell count, hemoglobin, etc. Typically the Observation.code value identifying the type of lab result would be expressed as a LOINC code. (In the U.S., it’s required to be LOINC if a LOINC code exists that covers the test.)

Dear Sir,
Thank you so much for your nice comments. It mean if we have simple EMR data of suppose 500 patients and the patients fall in three different type test such as ( blood, urine or other lab measurement). Then first we have to group all patients on the based of their test for example put all patient having blood test in one group, urine test in 2nd group and other lab measurement in 3rd group. After making these group we map each group into the observation according to their code and value.
In simple word, it is difficult or not possible to map each patient record(test) directly to observation resource, because their code is different. Am I right.
Please guide me further.
Thanks,
Ayaz

No need for grouping the patients. You’ll have a whole bunch of Patient instances. Each will have a whole bunch of lab results that point to those Patients. Each observation will have a code that identifies the specific type of test (not just ‘blood’ or ‘urine’ but ‘white blood cell’ or ‘potassium’).

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your response and feedback. Yes, you are right, but I want to know if we have three type tests for a single patient, then we have three different type Observation resources for that patient or we have only Observation resource for that patient and stored the data of all three type tests.

Second, should the observation resource for White blood cell is different than Observation resource for Potassium. I am asking in term of representation.
Please advise me here.
Thanks,
Ayaz

Every measurement made is a separate Observation instance. The only time you’ll have multiple values in a single Observation (via Observation.component) is for something like blood pressure or apgar where there are multiple values that are measured simultaneously that are not useful independently.