Questions to manage simultaneously HL7 v2 and FHIR

Hi,
I work with Integrated Health Solutions and we normaly integrate a concrete departamental system into a Hospital Information system using Mirth and HL7v2 transformations.
I see how FHIR is being more and more implemented and maybe we have to deal with it, so I post here open questions I have with respect FHIR and if you can comment any I would be very grateful:

• In Spain HL7 v2 is interpreted differently among Hospitals (some segments are filled differently), so we have to deal with mirth Transformations in all accounts. Will FHIR provide more standarized/mandatory structures of information? or it will continue happening the differences on interpretation because of the possibility to create profiles ad-hoc?
  • The resources are told to be located in URL, this could be also an owned server, isnā€™t it? it does not mean that it will run always on the cloud, isnā€™t it? Regulation in Spain is strict on running sensitive healthcare information in the cloudā€¦
  • Can Mirth be used to transfrom from HL7 v2 to FHIR easily? I feel it is a complete new paradigm with different resources, but I have seen that FHIR can express data into messagesā€¦ If not, would you recommend any tool?
  • Last but not least, would you recommend any tutorial to learn basis of FHIR comming from HL7 v2?

Thank you a lot in advance!
Best regards,

RocĆ­o

FHIR is clearer about what data elements mean, so thereā€™s slightly less wiggle-room. Also, FHIRā€™s ā€œ80% ruleā€ means there are a lot fewer esoteric elements as a source for diversity in implementation. That said, FHIR doesnā€™t guarantee consistent business practices. For example, when is an encounter ā€˜doneā€™? When do you have child encounters? etc. Also, what granularity of data is captured - do you just capture the organization, the organization + role, the organization + role + practitioner, just practitioner? Different institutions have different practices and, unless national standards dictate, you canā€™t count on consistency

There is no requirement that data live in the cloud, and itā€™s possible to use FHIR even if data isnā€™t web-accessible at all (though if you only use FHIR documents or FHIR messaging, then you lose much of the power) REST allows creation of interfaces that are use-case independent which is much more powerful and more scalable

Interface engines can definitely be used to support conversion, though there are complexities if youā€™re moving from a messaging environment to a REST environment.

Try doing a web search on ā€œFHIR v2 videoā€ and youā€™ll find some commercial sharings as well as recorded tutorials/presentations. Presume youā€™ve read the guidance in the core spec and the v2-to-FHIR IG?

Hi Lloyd,
Many thanks for your input!
Iā€™ll continue to train myself. Thanks for the links. I have tried to acces to HL7 Version 2 to FHIR FHIR IG and it is broken or I see it with almost no elements (attached image).
Captura

Would you have a corrected link?
If not I continue to reseach on the internet.

Thanks a lot again!
Best regards,

RocĆ­o

Hereā€™s the CI build: HL7.FHIR.UV.V2MAPPINGS\V2 to FHIR - FHIR v4.0.1

1 Like